Monday, July 26, 2010

Dressing for Crazy

I finally managed to get a psychiatrist appointment after graduating from school and thus from the University Health Services psychiatrist (who was awesome). The plus side with this doctor is that she doesn't take insurance so the whole process is simple, and takes much MUCH less time. She also knew my fiance's family which was part strange and part awesome.

Anyway before going today I was equal parts nauseous and anxious. So much so that I wanted to cancel but all the reasons I came up with were completely nonsensical. I was too nauseous to go, but I was nauseous because I didn't have my medicine which I would get at the doctors. I won't feel better until I actually go to the doctors. Also, I was too anxious to go and face a doctor, much worse and unknown doctor. But I was going to see her FOR the anxiety. I would never be able to stop being anxious until I actually went to see her. Here, at least, logic prevailed and I went to see the doctor.

Then the what to wear conundrume rose. I had two very clear situations in my head. Scenario 1:

Here I dress up so the therapist doesn't think I'm crazy and will therefore believe what I say. Lots of work put into it, reward of medication after.

Scenario 2:

Here I go as I am, complete with pajamas I still haven't changed out of (the appointment was at 6pm) and hair that hasn't been washed in a few days. Surprisingly here also works out to my advantage. They see that I'm clearly crazy and agree to give me medication before I even have to do anything. Small amount of effort, large reward.

In the end not looking like a crazy person won out, if only because I had to take the subway there and back. And get my prescription filled. It is not easy getting your prescription filled while looking like a lunatic.

I believe it worked. She seemed to listen to me and believe what I was saying. She also seemed to know all of my bad qualities and magically asked just the questions that were correct. I was impressed. And walked away with all the medicine I need. Including free samples! Of a very boring medication.

1 comment:

  1. I love your stick figures. They are so cute!
    I'm super proud of you for going to the appointment even tho you were feeling crappy. Also I'm proud that you took the B train (one you never took) all by you self

    Horray for getting the right medicine!

    ReplyDelete