Friday, August 20, 2010

Crazy Lost Bike Ride

Yesterday I got slightly lost during my bike ride and ended up at Battery Park.  To be fair I was planning on following the bike path to the southern end of Manhattan but got off track when I found out there was a ton of road work and lots and lots of detours.  It was crazy.
It started off fun, got to 42nd st. and took a picture from the Hudson River bike path:

42

Then I hit the detours.  I was riding through the financial district.  Me on my beautiful and whimsical blue bike and lots and lots of people in suits.  All of a sudden I see this:

liberty

Yeah, the statue of Liberty.  I was at Battery Park.  No idea how I got there.  I knew that I wouldn’t be able to find my way back but I did see a bike rental place up ahead so I figured, OK just keep going forward.  Eventually the path must exist again and I’ll just follow it uptown. 

boat

South Street Seaport!  The river’s right here, the bike path must be as well.  And it was!  So I start going forward.  This part of the bike path is horrendous.  The part that runs along the Hudson is beautiful, smooth, with plenty of room to pass other people.  This part is narrow, it’s very unclear which way to go, ugly, smelly, and bumpy.  Then when I reach the Brooklyn Bridge it starts going off onto the street and eventually leads me out onto 1st ave. which was terrifying. 

bridge

I decided to just head towards Central Park and take Central Park West home.  Central Park West is lovely to ride on so that part of the ride was great.  I got home, mapped out my route online and realized I had gone 20 miles.  That is just crazy!  I started riding my bike to try and lose weight but now I am amazed at what my body is able to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment