Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Bicycling in NYC for the first time

It was so incredibly difficult. I'm crazy out of shape right now, due in part to my chronic illness and recent surgery but also because I hate hate hate working out in any capacity. So yesterday I decided I was going to get my husband's bike in working order and go for a leisurely bike ride today. Woke up, had the bike ready to go, and started out for what I thought would be an enjoyable activity.
I was wrong.
First I had an epic struggle trying to get the bike out of the front door, with several people staring me down as I did it. Finally got it out and onto the street I headed into Central Park in the entrance across from my apartment. It was great for the first minute or so. Then there was a hill.
Ok, great, I thought. I'll just push myself for a little while and get up the hill. I'll feel super accomplished and can enjoy the rest of my ride. But the hill NEVER ENDED! It wasn't even steep, it just went on forever. I saw a smaller path off to the side with a bike symbol on it that seemed to go slightly downhill and sped towards it.
The enjoyment of going downhill on that path erased the anger caused by the previous hill so I decided to take the bike path to the Hudson River path since there were signs for it right in front of me. Unfortunately I ran into another stupid hill.

The hill as some people see it.

The hill as normal people see it.
Couldn't do it. Just turned around. Road north on Central Park West onto Central Park North and got off in front of my apartment.
I literally could barely walk because I was shaking so much and felt nauseous. So I stripped off all of my clothes and laid down on my bed in front of the air conditioner. So so so nice.
Every time I decide to try exercising it becomes a huge production and I become overly dramatic. I am proud that I actually went out there and tried, even if I didn't go far at all.

Also, my computer is broken so posting will be sporadic.

No comments:

Post a Comment